Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Apples Anyone

We took the kids to Anderson Orchards on Saturday to pick apples.  Linda meet us there and we all had a really good time.  Unfortunately when we got their I realized that I had forgotten my camera at home.  I will have to do a better job remembering when we go to Tuttles Orchard in a couple of weeks with The Learning House.

Linda and the kids picked a bushel of Golden Delicious apples while Drew and I went further into the orchard and picked winesap and mitsu apples.  In all we ended up with 2 bushels of apples.

Sunday we started working the apples into applesauce.  The kids had fun helping us peel and slice the apples.  Overall this is an experience that we would love to turn into an annual event.  Maybe not so many apples next year though.






   We ended up with 5 different types of applesauce in almost 4 dozen pint jars. (We might have had more but I ran out of jars and time)  Mixed Berry, Plain, Cinnamon Sugar, Fried, and Strawberry Banana.  Some of the really nice apples went into the fridge for eating and Linda took a small bag of them home.  We still have a few more that we are trying to decide what to do with.

No comments: